That's it. I am officially giving up any hope of an NHL season. The league announced today that it will hold a meeting with the board of governors on January 14. The assumption is that they will officially announce the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season. The meetings of last week did not go well, and I am completely out of best case scenarios. Even if they came to an agreement tonight, the earliest the arenas would be available would be February 6, leaving only two months in which to play games. Not to mention training camps were never held.
NOW, that puts me in a situation that lots of hockey fans are in right now: what do I tell my team about my season tickets? I'm paid in full, and the team gave me some options at the start of the lockout. One was a full refund (and cancellation of season-ticket holder status). Another was to leave the money paid in an interest-bearing account with the team. There was another, but I don't recall what it was. At this point, my money has earned 3 months of 4% interest, and I can ask for every dime of it back. I sure can use that money, but I would also like to leave the money there so that if and when hockey is resumed for the 2005-2006 season, I'll be paid in full. I'm torn. The intelligent thing to do would be to let my money grow while maintaining my tickets, but I don't know how intelligent I feel right now.
Actually, I don't really care about the interest that I'm earning. At this point, it has amounted to something silly like $12. The thing I care about is "paid in full". I had to work hard and save and cut corners to pay for my seats. As much as I want that money back, I don't want to have to work hard and save and cut corners next time there is a season.