Saturday, February 18, 2006

There's an army on the dance floor, passion with a gun

I had a dream about a month and a half ago, and it's sort of been bothering me since then. Almost everything about it was pretty cool, but it didn't make a lick of sense. The dream machine is very strange and non-sensical. But then again, the George Michael Sports Machine was the most non-sensical thing ever, and we never questioned that. Why, then, should we question the Dream Machine? I guess because we think we can learn stuff about ourselves. I don't know.


Anyway, here's the dream:

I was about to start a new job. I'm not sure exactly what that job was, but it was a normal office job. I was taking a week off after leaving whatever previous job I had. During that week, I spent a lot of time hanging out with a person from my real life. Specifically, it was the girl who made me the mix CD, and on whom I have a real life crush. I was at her house really early in the morning because her car was going in the shop, and I was gonna give her a ride to work after she dropped off her car. Her phone rang, and that's when the stuff that makes no sense started. She answered, and put it on speakerphone because she was ironing a shirt or something. The caller was Gabriel Byrne. But it wasn't Gabriel Byrne. It was his character "Tom Reagan" from Miller's Crossing. He was furious, and he was looking for me. How he knew to call there was a surprise to us, and why he was calling was even more of a surprise. Apparently, he was going to be my boss at the new job. He got the wires crossed and thought I was supposed to have started to work that day. Anyway, he was using really aggressive, threatening language. He told Kate "You tell that faggot he's got exactly (pause) four minutes to get his ass in here if ever wants to use his left arm again!" Kate took offense to that, but took more offense to the "faggot" comment than to the threat of amputation. "Take that back," she said. "I happen to know he's not gay, and he's proven it to me lots of times". I was of the impression that he threw "faggot" in there the same way lots of people throw "monkey fucker" in there. He wasn't actually suggesting that I was gay; he was simply using a term of derision. Eventually, I got on the phone with the Gabriel Byrne as Tom Reagan guy, and I reminded him that there was still one more week before I started to work. He was profusely apologetic, and offered me an even better position than the one he already had for me. I still didn't know precisely what my work would entail, but the pay was going to be great, and I knew it was legitimate work, so I didn't really question it. The dream pretty much ended there.

Gabriel Byrne? I don't know what that's all about. It's been years since I've watched Miller's Crossing, so I don't know why that character would pop into my dream. The getting of new job was appropriate because I had just, in real life, decided to change jobs.

I know that it's not very exciting, or funny, or any of that, but I wanted to get that out there. Anyone else ever have a dream where Gabriel Byrne was their boss?

now playing:

Viva Voce The Heat Can Melt Your Brain

2 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

man, it must be the the position of the moon or something... A bunch of us were just discussing the wierd dreams we've been having lately. Mine involved an elderly Popeye, me, and the Warsaw IN police dept.

my conclusion; no more pizza with extra cheese before bed!

incidentally, new web address: greatwhitebear2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.