Here's last year's top 15 Canadian records. I think that some of those records made the list simply because they were fresh on my mind at the end of the year. This is a natural tendency, and it's exactly the reason that some movies are re-introduced just before the voting for the Academy Awards takes place. Anyway, there are a few of those records that I haven't listened to very much at all since then. Still, though, I think the list held up pretty well. On that list, the records that are still in heavy rotation around here are:
- Hannah Georgas -- This is Good (#11 on the list)
- Land of Talk -- Cloak and Cipher (#8)
- Kathryn Calder -- Are You My Mother (#7)
- Dan Mangan -- Nice, Nice, Very Nice (#5)
- The New Pornographers -- Together (#3)
- The Besnard Lakes -- ...Are the Roaring Night (#1)
- School of Seven Bells -- Disconnect From Desire (#13 on the list)
- Sharon Van Etten -- Epic (#10)
- Thrushes -- Night Falls (#9)
- The National -- High Violet (#4)
- Kristin Hersh -- Crooked (#3)
I'm not going to retrospectively re-order those lists, but I would have put that Sharon Van Etten record at #1 if I'd known then what I know now. And The National at #2. And as luck has it, SVE and The National recorded a fantastic song together this year for the movie "Win Win".
Over the next two weeks, I hope to be working hard on getting my 2011 lists together. This means doing a lot of listening, a lot of video watching, and a little bit of research.