Sunday, December 26, 2004

Holiday musings, plus a change of teams equals a change in support

I don't have lots of crazy stories to tell about how bizarre my family is. We don't have any outlandish holiday rituals, and there aren't even that many of us. Nothing family-related happened to make it so, but this was a very unusual Christmas for me. Two years ago, my father announced on Christmas day that he had a brain tumor and was going in for surgery. Merry Christmas! Last year, the girl I was dating came home with me and acted like a fool. Merry Christmas! These both ended well, as the tumor was removed without any complications, and the girlfriend was removed with few complications. I spent this Christmas with just my parents and my two grandmothers. One of the grandmothers is half-deaf and completely silly. The other has Alzheimer's, and hardly knows her own name, let alone mine, or what day it is. She has good care, but it really makes me sad to see her deteriorating brain functionality. It was a good couple of days, but that's not what this is about.
A very good friend of mine (who happens to be a woman) recently decided that she wanted to try dating other women. At first, I doubted her seriousness about it, but the more she talked about it, the more I realized she was completely serious. Today she had her first girl-date, which went stunningly well according to all accounts. Normally, when she would date men, this would make me really jealous, and I would give her half-hearted support. I've had a pretty sizable crush on her for some time, so it hurt a little to hear about other guys. This time, though, I couldn't be happier for her. I don't really know why I am so supportive; it still makes me jealous. Maybe it's just that for the first time she seems truly happy with her dating situation. Merry Christmas! Although I'm not smooching any girls, I get to live vicariously through her.

1 comment:

Reid said...

You know Jessica Stein?! She's done this before, and it's good news for you, because she'll end up with you in the, uh, end.

I'm guessing you're not as jealous at least partly because, if she's dating women, then you're not even in the running. It stinks to feel like you're eligible but not chosen.

I'm also not too surprised that the date went really well. It must be pretty exciting to do something really different with your life like that, which means that the date was more than a date, which is all that her dates with men were.