Thursday, December 02, 2004

movies and my aching head

I went to the doctor on Tuesday hoping for some advice and/or remedy for my sleep troubles. His advice was as follows:
  1. eliminate caffiene as much as possible
  2. eliminate alcohol entirely
  3. write down the thoughts that are racing in my head. deal with them later
  4. have sex

Okay. Number one -- no problem. I usually have a coffee in the morning and some sodas at work, but I don't need the caffienated sodas. Number two -- slight problem. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I like to enjoy a few brews now and then. After all, I work at a freakin' brewery! Number three -- no problem writing it down, but I'm not sure how much that's going to help. Number four -- it isn't like I'm abstaining from sex by choice. I could try harder. Well, to be honest, trying at all would be trying more than I am now.

I was also prescribed with halcion . I took it for the first time last night, and I have to say that although it certainly helped me sleep, I hate the way I feel right now. I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but my head is pounding. Has been all day. Grrr.

Last night, I went to the video store and rented Morvern Callar , which I thought was horrible. Aside from the fact that they had such thick (presumably) Scottish accents that it was incomprehensible, I just didn't care for it that much. I had the day off today, so I took myself to see Sideways , which I thought was incredible. The dialog was great, the story was good, and the pace was perfect. To boot, the soundtrack featured Luna, which is a big plus in my book. During the previews, there was one that looked pretty decent. Can't remember the name of it, but it was about a dysfunctional family. Not quite like Ordinary People, but messed up nonetheless. Anyway, it looked decent until I saw the desperate cry for hipness : the inclusion of The Postal Service in the trailer. Bad, bad, bad. Don't get me wrong. I love The Postal Service, but I think they've gotten way too much play in movies. It isn't cool anymore. Remeber a few years ago when every car commercial had a Fatboy Slim song in it? That's what I think is going on with The Postal Service. Oh well

The NHL brass are meeting in tonight, and all indicaters are that the players union has scheduled a meeting for next Thursday to make a proposal to the owners. A boost for optimism!


No comments: