Thursday, November 24, 2005

it could have been a brilliant career

I know, I know. I haven't been around much. I don't know what to say. Not much has gone on that's been post-worthy.
Today, though is the first birthday of this blog. So,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BLOG!!!

I got my XBOX 360 in the mail the other day, and I've gotta say that the folks at Mountain Dew did it right. They gave away the full-tilt version of the game console. Complete with a the hard drive, wireless controller, ethernet cables, xbox live headset, remote control for the device (which can store photos, music, movies, whatever), and some crazy fantasy game. I also, apparently have a game of my choosing on the way, but I don't recall picking anything. I imagine I would have selected Madden, but I'll have to wait and see. The graphics are indeed pretty amazing.
I've heard some negative reviews of 2K Sports' NHL 2K6, so I'll hold off on spending the $60 on that. More video game updates as they (slowly) develop.

The college basketball season has begun, and I got a chance to watch the second half of the UNC game on Tuesday night, in which they decimated Cleveland State 112-55. Even taking into consideration that Cleveland state is awful, the Heels looked good. I think they'll be a little better than most folks think.

I also watched the ultra-exciting conclusion of the Gonzaga-Michigan State game, which went to three overtimes. Those Zags have a good squad. This Adam Morrison guy is really good, and he also bears a striking resemblance to actor (and narrator for Mastercard ads) Billy Crudup.

While I was watching that game, the name of UNC legend Mike O'Koren came up, and a friend who I had just run into relayed a great story about O'Koren. Now I shall relay it to you.

In 1976, O'Koren was a heavily recruited high school ball player. I think he was New Jersey player of the year that year. UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian was one of many who were going after him. Tark thought he had a brilliant plan. He was friends with Frank Sinatra, and Sinatra was a big fan of UNLV basketball. Tark asked Ole Blue Eyes (also a Jersey native) to help out in recruiting O'Koren. So Sinatra went to Jersey City and showed up on the O'Koren's doorstep. He sang for them and hung out with them for an entire evening and pitched UNLV in the process. I have no idea what Dean Smith did to top that, but O'Koren chose UNC only two days after Sinatra sang for him.

Anyway, that's it for now.

now playing:

Death Cab for Cutie Plans

1 comment:

greatwhitebear said...

congrats!