Sunday, April 03, 2005

all i ever wanted was to be your spine

Today was really weird. Our minor-league baseball team, the A class Greensboro Grasshoppers were hosting their parent team, the Florida Marlins. Bear with me for a sec here. They just built a brand spanking new stadium to replace War Memorial Stadium, which was the oldest minor league stadium in use. The spanking new stadium is downtown, about 7 blocks from the restaurant. We figured with over 8,000 people at the game, some of them would come to our place for lunch first. It just didn't happen. We were staffed out the wazoo, and it sucked for them to have to be told to go home. "Sorry, we're just not busy enough to keep you all here". The sun was shining like a champ, and it was about 65 degrees, so you would think people would flock to our patio. However, it was windy as all hell. No outside business to speak of.
I didn't go to that ball game, but I just read up about it. Since the Major League regular season starts (for most teams) on Monday or Tuesday, the Marlins were pretty much using their everyday players. Normally in an exhibition game situation like this, they would play the scrubs or the unproven prospects, but there's no time for that at this juncture. They freakin' had their way with the home team. 21-2. I'm anxious to get out there to see a game in the beautiful new stadium, but it'll have to wait about two weeks.

Well, my Heels have made it to the Championship game, which is freakin' awesome. I'm most likely going to Chapel Hill to watch the game, which should be a total blast. I was there (albeit 10 years old)in '82 when they won, and I made the trip again in '93 when they won. It's gonna be mayhem either way. Win or lose. I can't wait.

now playing:
Are You Building a Temple in Heaven?
Butterglory Are You Building a Temple in Heaven?

1 comment:

Reid said...

Man, the Heels looked as good as they have all season in the second half on Saturday. They were sinking their shots, getting the rebounds and looking like they team they were advertised to be. Damn them for getting me all optimistic for tonight.

Man, I wish I could be there in Chapel Hill with you tonight. How did I not know you were there in '93, too?