Tuesday, May 24, 2005

just say if i'm way out of line. i don't need telling twice

The management of Red and black is the new black and red would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused its readers. Our staff has been especially lazy these days, and hasn't come up with any good material. Those responsible for the lack of material have been sacked. Again, we apologize for the lack of recent posts and the resultant inconvenience it has caused. We now return to our regularly scheduled post, which will be aired in its entirety.


Okay. I'm confused about a couple of things, and I need some help from you, dear loyal readers.

  1. One of the Spaniards at work does something really strange. At first I thought I was jumping to a wrong conclusion, but I made a conscious effort to observe him in the act of doing this thing. I asked him about it, but I think he was confused by my question. Anyway... He puts his Coca-Cola in a pint glass, and goes into the microwave with it. For about a minute. All the time. Every day, a couple of times a day. Some of you might be familiar with this practice and may be able to shed some light on it. Please help if you can.
  2. There's this commercial on the television. A Sony commercial. For some super high-tech digital video/still hybrid camera. In the commercial, there's a young couple who are showing off their new house to a woman who is presumably the mother of the girl. The place is a hell-hole. Apparently, there's a horrible stench coming from somewhere, and there's a big ass raccoon roaming around inside the house. They're all non-chalant about the whole thing, because the crème de la crème is a fantastically decorated nursery for the baby they evidently haven't told the mother about. The mother says "So, who's the father?". A little joke, yes. But what I don't get is .... What is Sony trying to tell us? I guess the point is that it's okay to have a fucking dive of a house with a giant rabid rodent and unbelievable stench, and a mother who more or less calls you a whore (even if it is a joke) as long as the baby's room is nice, and you have their new product to document the whole thing.

Today was a fun day. I was surprised by Karen, who drove from Durham to bring me lunch. It wasn't a complete surprise, like when she pleasantly surprised me by being at my house when I got off work last Tuesday, but I only knew about it a few minutes before she would get there. For those of you joining us late, or not scoring along at home, Karen lives a good 45 minutes away, so it takes a lot of effort to pull the surprise visit. We ate lunch and hung out for a couple of hours before I had to take off for work. Work was a damn joke. Really dead.
I felt kind of bad because I feel like I let Karen down the other day. I stayed with her on Sunday night, and although we didn't really talk about it, she figured I would stay Monday night as well, which is what I've done a couple of times. I didn't do it though, because I was really cranky and anti-social, so I decided to go home. I had slept really poorly the night before, and I was really really out of it. As soon as I got home, I sat down and actually fell asleep for a few hours. Early in the evening. I usually try to avoid naps because they make me feel horrible and throw off my sleeping, but I really needed it. Exactly what I needed. I felt better, and I was able to sleep normally at my normal sleep time.
Today, we were watching Sylvia, but we weren't able to watch the end of it. I know it got some unfavorable reviews, and it got an especially bad review from a friend of mine who is a big fan of Sylvia Plath. However, I was kind of liking it, so TiVo-ed the hell out of it for later viewing. I'm not even a Gwyneth Paltrow fan. Actually, I usually abhor her, but I thought she was doing a fine job. I'm anxious to see the remainder of the movie, but it'll have to wait.



Now playing:
Sonna --We Sing Loud Sing Soft Tonight
Sonna We Sing LoudSing Soft Tonight

2 comments:

doug said...

On the Coke thing - I have no idea, but maybe the dude thinks it's like coffee and needs to be heated up - it's brown, it has caffeine. Also, seems to me that Coke is generally served warmer in foreign countries than it is here - or, at least without ice.

Reid said...

I think you have your own answer when you say, "He puts his Coca-Cola in a pint glass, and goes into the microwave with it." Sounds like you have one of those walk-in microwaves. And so this guy likes his Cokes hot because he's fried his brain with the walk-in microwave. It's kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

Have you ever tried hot Coke? Maybe it's really good.