Tuesday, August 23, 2005

and the jokes, they are so bad. but they're not as bad as this

I finally got around to watching Catch 22, which I've had from Netflix for like a jillion years. Somehow, I managed to make it 33 years without reading that book. I don't know how. It seems like something I would have read in high school, but I haven't.
Holy crud! What a cast that movie has! I've said it before, and I'll say again: Alan Arkin is great. Although he's a gifted comic talent, most of the funny bits belong to the other people. Most of the funny stuff is Bob Newhart or Anthony Perkins.
So.... What's the deal with war/comedy movies? They all have hysterical bits in the first 45 minutes, and then it sort of drops off after that. This one is no different.

Anyway, I liked it quite a lot even though it stopped being funny after the midway point. I'll recommend it to all of you.

If for nothing else, Bob Newhart's character is hilarious.

Up next, I have two Gene Hackman movies: The Conversation, and Heist

now playing:
Built to Spill -- Ancient Melodies of the Future
Built to Spill Ancient Melodies of the Future

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Conversation. Great movie. Hope you enjoy it.

Hans said...

Gene Hackman's best line in Heist: "I just did." You'll know it when you see it.