Monday, August 08, 2005

it could have been off the hook

(yawn) Six feet under last night (yawn)

Actually, I got to see Amanda last night, which was cool because I hadn't seen her in about a month. She came over to watch Six Feet Under. Yawn.

After she left, I watched the Director's Cut of Donnie Darko, which I have from Netflix. I liked the flow of the movie a lot more, but I didn't like the changes to the music.

In the original, the first scene features "The Killing Moon" by Echo and The Bunnymen as Donnie rides his bike home. The music really fits the action on the screen. In the Director's Cut, it was replaced by "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS. It's a fine song, but I think it's a terrible fit. HOWEVER, it makes a neat juxtaposition against "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division. That song, which shows up at the Darko Halloween party isn't in the original. I don't recall it, anyway. This change, I DO like. I don't know if the director intentionally did that "Never Tear Us Apart" / "Love Will Tear Us Apart" thing, but it's a pretty neat coincidence if he didn't.

Another musical change that I don't like is when Gretchen and Donnie come downstairs (during the Halloween party) after having sex. In the original, the song is "Under the Milky Way" by The Church. It was replaced by "The Killing Moon". I love "The Killing Moon", but like I said, I think it's a perfect fit at the beginning and that "Under The Milky Way" is a better fit there. Also, they let the song go way too long in the Director's Cut party scene. It clearly wasn't the song at the party, so it didn't make sense for it to go on so long.

Aside from the musical changes, there were a lot of changes made to the audio mix. The dialog and everything else sounds great. I have no complaints there. Just with the choice to change the music.

Overall, the Director's Cut looks and sounds better, and it makes more sense. Check it out.



now playing:
Echo & The Bunnymen -- Ocean Rain
Echo & The Bunnymen Ocean Rain

No comments: