Tuesday, March 29, 2005

did you give up punk for lent?

Today is the first day I've had off in two weeks. I'm enjoying it. It sure was sunny and pretty today, but I didn't spend much time in the out of doors. Maybe it's time for my to buy a dog. If I had a dog, I'd have been outside all day long. And if a bullfrog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun, and he wouldn't be afraid of snakes. You all probably think I'm on crack, but I learned that one from Dan Rather. He always cracks me up doing election night coverage. The deeper and deeper he gets into his marathon shift, the more bizarre his commentary gets. He said that last one during the coverage of election 2004.

I went out with Karen again last night. She came to Greensboro this time. We went for dinner, then to see a couple of bands at Gate City Noise. I thought we'd go to Southern Lights because it's nice and not too spendy, plus I can usually eat there in peace without running into fifty billion people that I know. We hadn't been there three minutes when Karen ran into a person she knew, and we were seated right next to my friends Kevin and Jana. So much for that. Dinner was nice, though.

I didn't know anything at all about the bands playing, but they don't have sucky bands there, so I thought it would be worth checking out. The opening band, Viva Voce was really good. They were just a two-piece. I think a married couple. Anyway, during the first song, I thought they were a Helium rip-off band, because the girl was singing a bit like Mary Timony and the guitar was kinda Helium-ish. Later, they started to sound a bit like Butterglory, which made more sense in that they, too are a two-piece. Then, later they played a song that could easily have been a Versus cover. Instead of getting mad at their derivative-ness, I embraced it. I had a really good time.
We killed a little bit of time across the street with a drink (and the use of their restrooms) before seeing a local band, Citified, play for a really short time. I liked them too, but we must have missed some of their set because we only saw them play like three songs.

Anyway, it was a good time overall.

now playing:
Sparklehorse -- It's a Wonderful Life
Sparklehorse It's a Wonderful Life

2 comments:

Reid said...

Dan Rather made the 2000 election coverage bearable. He's certifiable. It looked like Gore was getting a lot of states, and then when Bush started picking up more states, Rather said, "Gore's lead is melting faster than ice cream in a microwave" and then, more bizarrely, "Come back in from the kitchen, Martha; this one's not over yet." We figured he must have been hungry. Anyway, he'll be missed in 2008.

Nicole's really into Viva Voce. I heard a couple of their songs when she drove me home from practice a few weeks ago. It sounded really nice.

So who's this "Karen", sonny?

d-lee said...

another favorite "ratherism" from this last election night was
"Bush's lead is as thin as turnip soup". Another was "this one is as close as Timmy and Lassie"

Anyway, Karen is the girl from Durham who I've been out with a couple of times.

Details as they develop.