Sunday, March 06, 2005

kissing just for practice

I'm getting pretty excited about the coming weekend.
Although the ACC men's basketball tournament will be going on, and I'll have the whole weekend off, my excitement has nothing to do with that.

I'll be going down to Charlotte to play in my first rated Scrabble tournament. Since I've never played in an official tournament before, and I have no rating, I'll be playing in the lowest division. Checking the roster, I don't recognize any of the names in that division, but in the next division up, I notice two names of people I've played many times and have had pretty good success with. I think I should do pretty well in the low division. I hope so, anyway.
This is a relatively small-time tournament, I thought. However, I looked at the roster for the top division, and I noticed some of the top 10 rated players in the US. National Champ David Gibson, GI Joel Sherman and Chris Cree, just to name a few. Of course I won't be playing against them, but it's kinda fun to be in the same tournament.

This means little or nothing to most of you, but these are the biggest names in competitive Scrabble. To make an analogy, this will be kind of like playing golf with some buddies, and the group ahead of you consists of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Vijay Singh. You're not playing with them, and you'd get crushed if you did. But you're on the same course at the same time, and you're right next to them.

I'l be playing 15 games spread out over the weekend. 3 Friday, 8 Saturday and 4 Sunday.

For the record, if you're not familiar, tournament Scrabble is nothing like what you're used to. Two players to a game. Each player has a total of 25 minutes on a chess timer.

I don't have a whole lot of free time between now and Friday, but I'll have to spend as much of it as I can studying.

Now playing: MBV -- Isn't Anything
My Bloody Valentine Isn't Anything

2 comments:

Scarlett said...

Good Luck this weekend! :)

greatwhitebear said...

good luck and have a great time!