Wednesday, March 09, 2005

it's not that simple, this dictionary

For some reason, blogger wouldn't let me post earlier today, so I will try as best as I can, to recreate the post.

I had big plans for today. I was supposed to sleep in a little, relax a little, clean up a little, and study a little in preparation for the Scrabble tourney.

I didn't have to wake up at any particular time this morning, but at 6:30 am, I was aroused from my slumber. "MeEEp, MeEEp, MeEEP, MeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" No, it wasn't my alarm clock going off. My upstairs neighbor's car was sounding its alarm. For about five minutes solid. Thankfully, it stopped, but just a couple of minutes later it sounded again for a few minutes solid. I was up for good at that point. I immediately got online and started playing Scrabble. Not quite the studying that I had planned on doing, but I suppose playing is helpful too. I really do have quite a bit of studying to do. I have a little bit of work to do on the threes and a lot of work to do on the anamonics for the bingo stems. The trickiest part, though is remembering the anamonic device, AND THEN remembering the words that go with it. I can remember that AEINRS and F make a bingo because I remember the device. AEINRS is "arisen" and the device is "Shopgirl loving dick for comfort" Every letter in that sentence can be plugged in to make a valid seven letter word. Remembering that F works is all good and well, but it does me no good unless I can remember that the only valid F is "infares". So there's some work to do.

I don't want to stress out too much or I won't have a good time at the tourney, but I really do want to get some of this stuff down better than I have it now. I'm presented, though, with a bit of a dilemma. Wednesday night would be a really good chance to get some studying done, but a new friend just reminded me that Bettie Serveert will be playing in Chapel Hill. I've seen them a few times before, and I would certainly survive if I skipped the show, but I really like the new record and I want to see them play the new songs. Plus it's been a few years since I've seen them play. I'm actually leaning towards not going, but it'll have to be a game-time decision. Aside from the studying I should be doing, my laundry and dishes aren't going to wash themselves, and my cat is too lazy to do them for me.

I'm fairly confident that I'll do pretty well regardless of how much I study, but I'd like to be more prepared than the next guy. This is, after all, a competition.

I've worked the last two nights. I'm unaccustomed to working weekday nights, but I'm doing so to fulfill the hours I am expected to work. We've been incredibly slow. I don't know what's going on, but it's kinda miserable to be slow like that.

I've got another long day ahead of me tomorrow, and a couple of decisions to make.

Now playing:Neutral Milk Hotel -- In the Aerolplane Over the Sea
Neutral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

2 comments:

playfulinnc said...

It's slow because they want you to study! Go kick as and bring home a ribbon.

Hans said...

Oh man, you know who would absolutely hate Bettie Serveert? Charles David Mutherfukin Lee. If you sat him down and made him listen to some Bettie Serveert, he'd probably puke his guts out, that's how much he would hate them.