Wednesday, March 23, 2005

she didn't sign her name, she gave an autograph

I went to Durham last night to have some drinks with a woman who I've just met. I had a really good time, and I got to go to a cool place in Durham. I've always talked about Durham like it was the most awful place on earth, but I'd never really been to anything but the Duke campus and the Carolina Theatre. We met up at this bar called The Federal, which I liked a lot. They had some good beers on draft, they have a good menu (although we didn't eat), and the place has a lot of character. But the thing that did it for me was the music. They had really great music. I later found out that they use an iPod to provide the music, which sort of dispelled my "this place has a kickass jukebox" theory. Nonetheless, it was really good. I knew right away it was okay when I heard the Smiths, the Cure, the Dead Milkmen, Bob Mould and the Pixies. But I really knew that they kicked ass when I heard Bauhaus and The Wedding Present. I know it was a Monday night, and the crowd is always going to be really thin on Monday , but the crowd seemed really cool too. The bar isn't trying to be in your face trendy or super nice or anything like that. It just is what it is: a cozy little indie bar. I'm sad that there isn't a place like this in town. The places with my kind of music don't have good beer, and vise versa. Sometimes you can find a place that has a little of both, but this place had them both in full force. Being with a really cool girl made it cooler, too, I guess. I hope I get to go back there. With her.
Today, I was pretty tired at work, but things went smoothly. For the most part. I'm more than halfway through my string of 13 straight days, and so far I'm pretty much unscathed.
I was kicking ass in the "Two fer Tuesday" game. We always have the classic rock station playing in the kitchen because it's just about the only thing we can all endure without a lot of grousing. They have a twofer on Tuesdays, and we've made a little game out of it. During the first song of the twofer, everyone guesses what the next song will be. A correct guess is worth one point. During the second song, everyone guesses who the next band will be. That's good for two points. Each player has to make a unique guess, so only one player can score per round. Whoever scored the last point gets the honors on the next guess. Usually, it takes about 11 points to win the contest (bragging rights only), but it's not entirely uncommon for someone to score only one point all day. Today, I was off and running with early one pointers for "Why Can't This Be Love" by Van Hagar and "I Drink Alone" by George Thorogood, and a two pointer for Boston. Unfortunately, this was one of the weeks where nobody was really trying to play. It happens that way sometimes. I usually have Tuesdays off, so I was excited about playing, and a little disappointed that nobody else really wanted to play. Oh well.

Now playing:Good News!
Modest Mouse Good News for People Who Love Bad News

No comments: