Thursday, January 06, 2005

more 9/11 stuff

Here's a couple more records released close to the 9/11 thing that have some relevance.

1. Ryan Adams -- "Gold"

Gold


This album was released exactly two weeks after 9/11, and to be frank, I don't know that much about it. I've heard it a number of times in friends cars and at bars, but I haven't really listened that closely. Worth mentioning is the opening song, entitled "New York, New York". The video to this song featured shots of the WTC Also, worth mentioning is the cover art showing the American flag displayed upside-down. Contrary to popular belief, flying the flag upside-down is not the appropriate way to show dissent. Flying the flag upside down is, in flag etiquette, the proper way to symbolize "dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."
It would be safe to say that NYC,, Washington DC, and America as a whole was in such a situation. I don't remember hearing that the artwork was changed at the last second, so all we can say is that it was prophetic.

2. I am the World Trade Center -- "Out of the Loop"

Out of the Loop

I didn't really want to bring them into it. It's too obvious. The cd was released eight weeks prior to 9/11. The only odd connection I can find is that the 11th track is entitled "September". I don't know anything about this band other than that they are "sort of electronic", in a St. Etienne kind of way and that the girl is "sort of cute". I recall hearing that they were gonna change their name, dropping the "the", but I don't think that it ever happened. I just did a bit of research, and it turns out that IATWTC's singer, Amy Dykes has had a horrible year. First, she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma , and was later bitten by a rabid cat. As if the radiation treatment and chemotherapy wasn't enough, she had to also endure the series of rabies shots. Ouch! This is probably the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.

more later

No comments: