Tuesday, January 18, 2005

seeing old faces, and not being able to

I'm supposed to be mad at my favorite bar. This is the kind of place that treats its employees really well and treats its regulars almost as well. Employees are showered with gifts from the owner, they drink for a dollar (illegal in this state, by the way), and they have an incredibly laid back atmosphere. Lots of shady hole-in-the-wall bars let their employees get away with murder, but this place is a nice place, and it does really good business. So the employees like to stay there. I like going there because they know their regular customers really well. They know that I'm gonna come in there one or two times a week, that I drink the same beer (Murphy's Stout) every time, that I will have no more than three beer, that I like to sit in the same stool every time, and that I'm gonna treat them well. If it's too crowded to belly up to the bar, all I have to do is catch the bartender's eye, and my drink is on the way. Many of the regular good tipping customers (myself included) frequently are charged for less than they drank. Just a friendly gesture by the bartenders. Not that they steal from the company. They just put it on their own tab. Very cool.

But I'm mad. They fired three bartenders who I consider to be my friends. I know most of the bartenders there by name, but these three are the kind I like to hang out with outside the bar. Sure, they were each thinking of quitting anyway, but they were suddenly fired when the bar brought in some bullshit corporate managing group. Okay. I'm probably not fooling anyone. Anyone reading this is either from out of town, or knows full well that I'm talking about M'Couls. I love this place, and I have been going regularly since they opened their doors. Despite the fact that I work across the street, and we brew our own beer (including a fantastic Stout), I still like going there. It's comforting and I can really relax. If I drink where I work, I can never really relax. Anyway, I was gonna protest by not going there, but I just can't do it. I love it too much. I guess beer is thicker than friendships.
Some, anyway. Most people reading this are my dear friends, and obviously are way more important to me than any beer or cute barmaid.

The other day, I was reading the blog of an ex-girlfriend who lives in DC now. I was directed to her blog by a mutual friend, and I check in (without commenting) about once a week or so. I was moved to comment because she posted that she needed one of her exes to stalk her. Her current boyfriend is being stalked by his ex, so she feels left out. Although I'm not really right for the job, I commented anyway. The next day, she had put a post about me, and said all sorts of nice things about me. On her blog, and on mine. I was shocked and flattered. Maybe not shocked, but surprised. Shannon and I have been cordial, even friendly since we stopped dating 4 years ago. I think it was 4 years. She's a warm, sincere, and very talented woman. And the only one of my exes that I have any contact with. Even when I told myself that I wanted to burn the bridge, she wouldn't let me do it. She knows me well, and knew that I didn't want her out of my life. Like me, she is a Libra, prone to stubbornness. Thankfully she was more stubborn than I. There's a lot in my life that I'm not proud of. At times, I made it difficult for this woman to be my friend. I am not proud of that. But I am proud to say that Shannon Ivey is my friend.
I am also proud that the people reading this are my good friends. You're all awesome people.

Now Playing:Lost in Translation Soundtrack
Lost In Translation Soundtrack

1 comment:

greatwhitebear said...

You're a lucky man. Good taste in beer, ex is still speaking to you. You must be doing something right. Except for the Hurricane ticket holder thing. That must be to keep you down to earth and humble!