Friday, January 21, 2005

pimento cheese, movies, and hockey

I think I'm addicted to pimento cheese. I hadn't eaten a pimento cheese sandwich in many years until I was playing poker at a friend's house two weeks ago, and his girlfriend made me one. I had forgotten how good that stuff is. I went out the next day and bought a lot of it. It would be easy enough for me to make myself, but I prefer to buy it. The deli in the Harris Teeter makes a good one. For some reason, I prefer it over the name brand stuff. I dunno. Something about freshness. I can't stop eating them.

I've been really pleased with Netflix since I signed back up with them. They ship from in town now, which means if I send some movies back on a Monday morning, I'll have new ones by Wednesday. I love it. At the demand of my friend Kari, I put Chinatown in my queue. It's probably her favorite movie, and I had never seen it. I really liked it a lot. Oddly enough, in that same batch of Netflix movies was Jules and Jim, which I rented purely because Cameron Crowe always talks about the films of Francois Truffaut and Billy Wilder as being the most influential on him. I'd seen a few Truffaut films before, but this one is the one that people talk about all the time. Back to the point... Both these films involve women with really messed up values concerning love and sex. Although that isn't the focal point in Chinatown, it's there. I loved the work done by Faye Dunaway, John Huston, and of course Jack Nicholson in the lead role. There was a line in there that I'm sure I'll quote forever. One of the guys said "How dumb do you think I am?" to which Geddis (Nicholson) later replied "You're dumber than you think I think you are."

Last night, I watched Employee of the Month, which I thought was horrible. Steve Zahn made it somewhat bearable, but overall it stank. Up next, is the original version of The Flight of the Phoenix, which I'm excited about. I didn't see the new one, but I heard that the original kicks so much ass. When I get home from work tonight, that's the only thing on my agenda.

Alright, so the ass clowns couldn't get anything resolved vis-a-vis the NHL lockout. They had two days of meetings, and still nothing. There's an alleged meeting next week, but no official word. Rumor has it that some of the clubs are telling their players to be on standby, which is a good sign. However, the failure to get anything accomplished in a two day meeting is yet another bad sign.

Well, it's about that time to go earn my daily nickel.

Now Playing: Camera Obscura -- Underachievers Please Try Harder
Camera Obscura Underachievers Please Try Harder

No comments: