Tuesday, January 11, 2005

you listen to rubbish i really despise

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Badly Drawn Boy. More specifically, the album Have You Fed the Fish. I just got into this guy when my friend Amanda wouldn't stop talking about how wonderful he is. It's a really good record, and a lot of fun. There's a couple of things on this record that are really interesting to me. One is a lyric in the title song, which goes "You've got to give me two days and woman, I'll make you a girl. Sometimes you've got to rewind to go forward." Then there's this repeated line throughout the album about being the one who can "get her tickets to what she needs", suggesting that the way to a woman's heart is getting her into the Neutral Milk Hotel show or something like that. Along with that is in the song You Were Right, he says "I remember doing nothing the night Sinatra died, and the night Jeff Buckley died, and the night Kurt Cobain died, and the night John Lennon died ... And that was a lot of lives who lost the tickets to what they need." It makes me sad, but I like it. Another thing I think about when I'm listening to this record is how much he and Sondre Lerche sound alike vocally. I don't notice it so much on BDB's newer record, but I do on this one.
So I've been listening to that a lot lately. I've been listening to a lot of different stuff. But there's something weird going on. All the time that I'm listening to whatever it is, all I can think about is Anti-Western by Camera Obscura. It's living in my head. I can't help it. Not that it's a bad song to have stuck in your head, but I just cannot get it to leave.

Now Playing: Drooliana Hatfield -- Hey Babe
Juliana Hatfield -- "Hey Babe"

No comments: