Tuesday, January 25, 2005

oh glorious day!

Today is a glorious day. No, there isn't any good news on the hockey front. Today is just a glorious day because it's Tuesday. Now that we're out of "the holiday season" that means lots of new releases down at the record store.

I did a little studying, and I knew that there is a new limited pressing ep by Matt Pond, PA , and a new long player by Low. Some other things came out, but I'm just not interested. Call me an asshole, or whatever you want, but I just couldn't possibly care less that there are two albums out by Bright Eyes. I have never cared for them, or him, or whatever we're supposed to call Bright Eyes. I realize that this gets me negative indie cred, but I just don't care.

So I go on down to the record store, and actually the first thing I notice on the new release shelf almost made me shit myself. A new record by Bettie Serveert?! Could it be true, or is this some crappy retrospective thing? Happy to say, it's a new record, entitled Attagirl. As much as I love them, I had given up with the release of Log 22 . I didn't like it that much, and it seemed like the end to their gradual shift from rockin' to cruddy. It looks like Carol, Peter and Herman are the only ones to stick with it this long, as they've got some new faces.

Fuck me! As I'm writing this, I'm listening to this new Bettie Serveert, and I notice in the liner notes that the song "Lover I Don't Have to Love" is actually a Bright Eyes cover. What a dumb coincidence! And I like it.

Truth is, I wasn't that excited about the new Low record, but I gave it a preview on the listening post, and I didn't hesitate at all to scoop it up. This time around, they went heavy on the fuzz and upped the rock meter, sort of shifting away from the mopey stuff.

I have a whole pile of movies to watch, and a homemade pizza to eat, so that's gonna have to be it.

Now playing: Bettie Serveert -- Attagirl
Bettie Serveert Attagirl

2 comments:

doug said...

yeah, I saw that Bettie Serveert was playing here soon - thought I was in a time warp or something. exciting.

Reid said...

I definitely have a love/hate thing with Bright Eyes. The lyrics are either pretentious and painful or brilliant, the singing is either overwrought or beautifully emotional...there's just a really fine line. Ultimately, he almost never fails with a melody, though, and that's what makes me buy the records. As much as I hate to admit it, he can write a great song.