Wednesday, July 06, 2005

it feels more like a hotel every day

I think the downstairs neighbor of areseven has a twin brother who has just moved in upstairs from me. This dude makes so much noise at an impossibly late hour. I had to go up there to pound on his door at 3:15 in the morning. Fortunately, no confrontation was necessary; the knock on the door was enough for him to turn it WAY down. Round about midnight, he was playing some music or watching TV or something and it wasn't that loud, but I could tell it was there. However, when it became really late, and I was actually trying to sleep, he was listening to Korn or some other such crap with a double kick drum, heavy bass, and the Cookie Monster "singing". As you well know, nobody listens to stuff like that with the volume turned low. It was insane. I don't know what this guy was thinking when he said "I think I'll listen to Korn at 3 in the morning. I'm sure none of my neighbors will mind". My stock explanation for this behavior is: Drugs. The kid's gotta be on the drugs.
Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about this new Sufjan Stevens record that Reid keeps talking about. I haven't listened to the mp3, but I'm sure I will love it. I've been wearing the shit out of Seven Swans, which is the only record of his that I own. Yeah. We've all read and heard the same thing about how he wants to make an album for all 50 states. So far there's just Michigan and now Illinois. The Mountain Goats were gonna do a similar project, naming an album for each country in the world, but he only got as far as Sweden and Ghana . I suspect Sufjan Stevens will at least have a couple more state albums, but couldn't possibly do all 50. By the way, I made that up about Mountain Goats. I don't think he ever intended or even joked about naming an album for each nation in the world. It just so happens that he has two albums named for countries.
Anyway, I'm going to try to pick up a copy of Come on feel the Illinoise today. Incidentally, Amazon.com has the different album art, including the one Reid talked about with Superman on it, and the same artwork with the Superman image taken out. There's also what appears to be a tour poster promoting "Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers". Check it out.
It's still a long way off, but he'll be playing the Cradle on Sept. 25. Sweet.

I think tonight I'll go to the ballgame. There's a chance of thunderstorms, as there is all week, but it looks pretty good right now.

It's time to go to work.

now playing:
Darling Buds -- Erotica
Darling Buds Erotica

No comments: