Thursday, July 21, 2005

president gas on everything but rollerskates

First order of business today is to report another tragic loss. Donnie O'Neill, brother of Carolina Hurricanes right wing Jeff O'Neill, died this morning in a tragic single vehicle accident near Toronto (link above to the Toronto Star for details). There's a post about it at the other place. I'm not a big O'Neill fan, but this is horrible news. My thoughts and the thoughts of the entire Red and Black is the New Black and Red staff will be with him and his family.

Read about that and some more rumors surrounding the NHL draft lottery over at Red and Black Hockey .

Last night, I finally opted for Zoolander for my Wednesday movie night. It actually made me laugh quite a lot. It was, indeed, kinda retarded, but I had fun with it. For all you Wes Anderson fans out there, I noticed a couple of obvious nods to Anderson's films. Owen Wilson appears in all of Anderson's films, so just having him at all reminds me of Anderson's stuff. That aside, there's a few things that happen that have to be homage. The whole premise of the movie is ridiculously absurd, but I liked it anyway.

Okay. What's up with the dreams I've been having lately? A couple of weeks ago,I had a dream about a girl I dated when I was in the 11th grade. I haven't even seen her in 10 years, and that was a freak run-in. More like 15 years since we've had any contact to speak of. I know from a google search of her very unique name that she's married and living in California, and that she's an archeologist or something like that. Anyway, in the dream, she called me with some amazing job offer that was too good to pass up, but required immediate relocation. So I just had to leave all my stuff in this apartment and get on a plane with just the clothes on my back. Something about the deal involved moving in with her, but I never understood that aspect. I came back a week later to retrieve some of my stuff, but it was all gone, and some girl had moved in to this apartment, despite the fact that I had paid an extra month of rent. I was really confused.

A week later, I had a dream that I dreamt about Amanda dying. I woke up from the dream-within-a-dream and was confused, but really relieved to find that it was just a dream. Then I woke up for real from the main dream, and I was confused. Amanda happened to call me that day, even though she's on vacation in North Dakota with her beau. Somehow it slipped my mind to tell her that, but I know she's safe and sound.

Last night I dreamt that I was still dating Eleanor. I know where this one came from, though. I've been thinking and writing about hockey a lot. Also last night, after the movie, I watched one of my small handful of Canes games I have on the DVR. It was from March 5, 2004. A victory over the Thrashers 3-2 in overtime. This was definitely the most exciting regular season game I've seen. Fantastic goaltending for both teams, and we finally won the game on a short-handed goal by Kevyn Adams with 00:00.4 showing on the clock. A very exciting game. A road game, so I wasn't there, but super-exciting. Four days later would come the news of the Ron Francis trade. Sorry. I'm not supposed to talk about hockey here, but I was thinking that all that Hurricanes stuff is what made Eleanor show up in my dream.

If you're interested, I'm going to find a link to the video of that stunning goal by Kevyn Adams. When I find it, I'll post it at the other place.



now playing:
Neutral Milk Hotel -- On Avery Island
Neutral Milk Hotel On Avery Island

No comments: