Wednesday, July 13, 2005

you can't go blind from crying all the time

Today was one of those days where I wanted to slap the dudes I was working with. It was the night with no Spaniards. As much as I like not having to worry about the difficulty communicating with them, I actually prefer to work with the amigos. They just work, and they don't bitch about shit and bore me with their conspiracy theories.
First there was the guy who's been taking too many liberties with the employee shift meal policy. He didn't think it would be detected, but it was. He got in some trouble, and he had some conspiracy theories about that. Hey... I've got some advice for ya. Instead of hatching theories, quit stealing from the company. That's a good start.
Then there's one of the other guys who finds it so hard to believe that I'm not having sex with every single one of our female servers. Just because we get along at work doesn't mean there is, or even should be anything sexual. Maybe his inability to understand this is why this dude is 29 years old and has 6 kids with three different girls. You gotta temper that shit. Never mind that most of them have boyfriends. Aside from that, I am at the moment "ungirlfreindable". I wouldn't recommend myself to anyone as a dating option. I'm not, and never have been into the idea of casual sex, so that isn't even an option. Aside from all of that, I know that it's never a good idea to fish off the company pier. My friend Amanda will say otherwise, but it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Then there was the radio. Sometimes it's on the top 40 station, sometimes it's on the hip-hop station. Tonight it was on the hip-hop station. I don't really like hip-hop, but if I did, it wouldn't be the stuff on the radio. I figure I would apply the same selectiveness to hip-hop that I do to rock. The stuff that's marketed for the masses usually doesn't appeal to me. Anyway, they're worse than the top 40 station in terms of how frequently they play the same songs. Alright... go ahead and call me a racist for the next statement, but I got a good chuckle out of one of the commercials. Bear in mind that it was for a partnership with this specific radio station and a fast-food chain. The ad encouraged us to come on by and enjoy tasty food from the restaurant, pick up a fly (insert name of radio station) bumper sticker and register to win tickets to the Brooks and Dunn show. Brooks and Dunn? Gosh, I hate to break it to them, but they really need to do some demographic research or target their marketing a little better. I would have to guess about this, but it's probably fair to assume that at least 75% of their regular listeners is African-American and that of their listenership, only a small per centage has any interest in country music. I'm pretty certain that Brooks and Dunn shows are attended by a crowd that is roughly 98% white, and that a good portion of them wouldn't be caught dead listening to hip-hop, let alone sporting a bumper sticker from a hip-hop station on their vehicle. Maybe I'm underestimating each of these groups of music lovers, but it just seemed like a really odd thing for a hip-hop station to be promoting. I do know this: that station has never played a Brooks and Dunn song. I'm sort of envisioning a Venn diagram in which the common area is so small that it's immeasurable.
Go ahead. Call me a racist. A prick. An asshole.

now playing:
10,000 Maniacs -- In My Tribe
10,000 Maniacs In My Tribe

No comments: