Sunday, July 03, 2005

it's true that i stole your lighter, and it's also true that i lost the map

I'm so glad my "weekend" is finally here. This week hasn't been a lot of fun. Re-discovering the Quasi record was great, and getting to see the "Which Doobie do you be" episode was also great. I'm tired as all get-out and I have people mad at me. That isn't great. And the state of my apartment is actually horrible. Now I have two days to relax and get some stuff done.
Among the "stuff" I wanted to get done was to figure out how to provide mp3s here. I'd like to think that I have a fair amount of savoir faire, but I felt like a goddamned imbecile when it came to this. It took me about 63 thousand years, but I figured out how to make it work. Only problem is, I don't have very much bandwidth to work with, so I won't be able to make a revolving jukebox like some of the other fancier blogs. Someday, I'll learn to make it so readers won't have to navigate away from the main page to listen to the mp3, but for now, this is as good as I can do.

The first song I'll be offering you is very appropriate for tomorrow. It's actually (in my opinion) one of the greatest indie pop songs ever written, as well.

Here's your mp3 for Fourth of July by Galaxie 500.

Many of you already know this song, but I'll encourage you to listen to it again anyway. It's probably been some time since you've dragged out your copy of This is our Music. As a little piece of trivia, the drum kit Galaxie 500 used during their beginnings belonged to Conan O'Brien. They all went to Harvard together. Conan graduated magna cum laude in American History. Yeah, you knew he was a dork, but not like that.

Go see the fireworks. Drink some beer. Eat some hotdogs. Listen to Galaxie 500

now playing:
Galaxie 500 -- Uncollected
Galaxie 500 Uncollected

1 comment:

Reid said...

I'm not mad at you, Dave. For what it's worth.

It's probably best to take mp3s down pretty quickly anyway. Some of the more popular mp3 blogs actually get some cease-and-desists, but that's usually when they're posting stuff before the official release date. And, um, they probably get a *couple* more visits than you and me.